The purpose of this checklist is to help you gather the information you and/or your advisors will need to start a review of your situation.
_____ 1. Copies of your state and federal tax returns for the past two years, including W2s, 1099s, etc.
_____ 2. Copies of your last two payroll check stubs. If they were not typical weeks, use a stub showing a typical week.
_____ 3. If you own real estate, a copy of the Deed or Contract to the real estate and the mortgage papers you signed at the time of purchase (or bring in your abstract or title insurance policy).
_____ 4. Copies of any appraisals of your real estate and/or personal property (such as jewelry, guns, antiques, etc.).
_____ 5. A list of all bills you owe, including the following information for EACH:
- Name, address, ZIP code
- Date account was opened (month/year)
- What the bill is for (clothing, furniture, doctor, etc.)
- Total amount owed
- If applicable, the name, address, and ZIP code of the collection agency or attorney collecting the bill
- If it’s a secured debt (home, car, appliances, etc.) a copy of the security agreement, promissory note, mortgage, etc. that you signed at the time of opening the account (if you do not have a copy of the agreement securing the debt, list the item or items securing the debt)
- List all payments made to creditors within the past 12 months whether fully paid off or with a current balance
_____ 6. The address of every place you have lived for the past six years
_____ 7. Your Social Security Number (if a corporation, the Federal I.D.# and incorporation date)
_____ 8. For each bank account you have had in the past two years, the following information:
- Name, address, ZIP code of the bank
- Account number and type of account (savings, checking, etc.)
- Full name and address of each person authorized to sign checks
- Bring in your check registers for the past two years
_____ 9. If you maintain a safety deposit box, the name, address, and ZIP code of the institution where the box is located
_____ 10. A complete list of all attorneys with whom you have consulted in the past year, including:
- Name, address, ZIP code
- Dates each was consulted
- Dates and amounts paid to each attorney
_____ 11. All life insurance policies, homeowner's or renter's policies, savings bonds, stock certificates
_____ 12. Copies of any leases, promissory notes, contracts, and financial statements you have signed/given to any creditor or bank within the last three years
_____ 13. If you hold property for anyone else or anyone else is holding property of yours for you, names, addresses, and descriptions of the property (For example, property might be held as a result of a divorce decree, an inheritance, storing furniture or appliances, etc.)
DOWNLOAD this checklist as a PDF